Friday 9 August 2013

Day 26 – What is something that you have read that changed your life?

“If we are so contemptibly selfish that we can’t radiate a little happiness and pass on a bit of honest appreciation without trying to screw something out of the other person in return—if our souls are no bigger than sour crab apples, we shall meet with the failure we so richly deserve.”

 Have you ever done something for someone else wishing you'd get something return? Don't like of course you have. When I first read this saying by Dale Carnegie a little switch clicked in my mind. I realised that I was so much more selfish then I ever thought myself to be. I wanted to be the most benevolent being in the world but really as the quote says, I was trying to "screw something out", seeking all sorts of recognition and gratitude. I could not believe I was so naive for so long to think that I was such a great person. I felt like the biggest fool.

I realised then that all goodness should source from goodness alone and not selfishness. I don't want to take actions to help others so that one day I can hold it above their head to have one back. I don't want to try to show off and help for the sake of flaunting ability. I don't want to help people and help myself at the same time. From that quote I got a step closer to understanding the feeling of sacrifice; to forfeit one's reward so that another person can have theirs. I want to give up my life to help others find theirs.

No comments:

Post a Comment